Monday, May 31, 2010

Confessional

Dear Fellow Global Citizens,

I have a few confessions for you.

I love cliches. Though they are overused and somewhat unoriginal, cliches are based on truth or a socially accepted wrong idea at the very least. I once had an undergraduate professor tell me my writing was too colloquial – too conversational. That same semester I was praised for my witty insights and colloquial nature by a different professor. It just goes to show you it takes all kinds to make this world. Side bar: I will be colloquial here, but I’ll try to steer clear of the cliches.


I spend far too much time thinking about things I can’t really do anything about like the English language. It makes no sense, and it’s my native language! For instance take the predominant word that is opposite of win and the word that indicates selection: lose and choose. These words both have same “oo” vowel sound, but one has two o’s, while the other only has one. The past tense of choose is chose, which looks like it should be pronounced like lose, but it isn’t. Or perhaps lose should be pronounced like chose. And the past tense of lose is lost. There’s no verb tense of choose that is chost. Also, let’s look at the word loose, which means relaxed, not tight, free, etc. It has the double o that choose has, but it’s not pronounced the same way. No wonder people have so much difficulty learning the English language. It’s messed up.


I am writing this blog post instead of writing any of my four papers. I spent most of the afternoon reading Seth Godin’s Unleashing the Ideavirus for my Direct Marketing book report. Though the book was published ten years ago, rendering some of the references outdated and obsolete, the general premise of the book is great! It talks about how we shouldn’t be marketing at people, but instead using our customers to market for us. Word of mouth market can be so potent. Why not try to get a little control on it and use it for our benefit? I’m sure there will be more on this subject once I write the report.


I don’t really know what I want to do with my life anymore. For the past three and a half years I was convinced I would go to grad school and get my masters degree in arts administration and then slowly work up the ranks in the artistic department of a major opera company in the United States until I become the director of artistic operations. Now that I’ve been in grad school for a year, I’m not sure if that is what I want. I have so many different things that I could do. My latest career idea is to become an au pair in Belgium or France. It would be a great way to see the world and learn a new language. I realize that this last confession sounds like mindless drivel. However, this indecisiveness about my future will likely shape future posts. Perhaps I’ll write something about the process of becoming an au pair. Or maybe I’ll discuss the viability of L3C’s, a relatively new business classification. I just thought I would warn you, fair readers.



Thanks for reading. Let me know your thoughts.


C-

No comments:

Post a Comment