Thursday, November 25, 2010

It's That One Time A Year...

...when people take a step back and realize what they're thankful for -- not having developed obesity-induced diabetes yet.  In all seriousness, despite of the economy and the recent midterm elections, we have a lot for which to be thankful.  For one, we're not in a depression, and according my iPhone savvy friend, Jon, the economy's doing better.  Second, this is not 1621, so there's a pretty good chance that most of us will make it through the night and the weekend.  Lastly, we have the internet.  I cannot fathom the pain and suffering our forefathers must have gone through knowing they couldn't tweet about the awkward silence at the dinner table because Aunt Mable drank too much cooking sherry, again.  How did we make it through the holidays before the internet?  How horrible it must have been to actually talk to ones relatives! Small talk. Ew.

We actually should be thankful for being thankful.  According to an article in the Wall Street Journal, showing gratitude is good for your health.  It doesn't really say why, but it does list a lot of positive "side effects" of being grateful.  I like to think when one acknowledges something good in their life, it gives one some perspective.  This is going to be shocking to you dear readers, but despite my usual acerbic, cynical, and sarcastic demeanor, I'm actually a very positive person.  Here's another shocker for you:  I don't believe in bad days.  There is always something good in every day, even if it's finding a quarter on the sidewalk or someone opening a door for you.  Sure, there are the days when awesome is your middle name, but that can't happen everyday.  At the end of every day, look back and find at least one thing you can be thankful for. I dare you.

At any rate, here's a list, in no particular order, of things for which I am thankful. Also, this list is not all inclusive.

  1. Family -- Thank goodness my dad is here, not only because I love him and appreciate him putting up with me for the last 23 years of my life, but because he fixed the turkey.  I may have made a grown up step and purchased the bird, but I am nowhere near ready to stick my hand up it.  Some things are "worth" waiting for.
  2. Friends -- For starters, my life would be a lot more boring without them.  
  3. Coffee -- The only reason I've stayed alive through grad school.
  4. Culinary arts -- Welcome to my backup plan if the arts admin thing doesn't work out.
  5. Singers -- You give me a reason to get up in the morning because dealing with you is my job.
  6. Books and my ability to read them -- Books are awesome.
  7. Conan O'Brien being back on late night television -- Late night tv was just naked without him.
  8. Common sense -- It's something people just take for granted.
  9. Sharpie pens -- All the Sharpie goodness without bleeding through the paper.
  10. Broccoli - It's a completely understated vegetable.

I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

--C

1 comment:

  1. I am grateful for broccoli!
    I am grateful for Carolynes!

    ReplyDelete